My hopes are that I will be to give the refugee family I am working with a positive experience by the time my project ends, and that I will gain positive memories and experiences from working with them. Since my service mostly involves me tutoring them with their English, I hope to be effective and helpful enough to help make a difference in their English fluency. I hope to learn from them and their cultures, and I learn to further develop my intercultural skills and competency.
2. What are your assumptions about your service-learning
site?
Since
I am working with the family directly in their home, I do not really have any
assumptions about my service-learning site. It may have a warm and “homely”
feeling that many homes have, or it may not. It may be crowded with furniture
and decorations, or it may be spacious and simplistic. I don’t really know what
to expect, so I am not going to make any assumptions. I am keeping my mind open
and my assumptions/expectations to a minimum. English fluency varies among refugees. I do not know how well the refugee family members can speak/read/write in English, but I am hoping that they will be able to communicate with us in English to some degree, since otherwise, I would not be able to understand them and talk to them.
I am
working with the refugee family through the World Relief organization. I have learned
from the volunteer director that the agency performs many services for immigrants
and refugees. The main division I am working with helps refugees escape from
discrimination in their home countries and provide homes for them in the US.
4. What do you know/or assume about the population they
serve?
The
population World Relief mainly serves includes immigrants and refugees. The
refugees seek protection and new homes in different countries in order to
escape various types of discrimination, punishment, and even death, in their
home countries. The refugees come from different countries and a wide variety
of backgrounds. Some were doctors or engineers in their countries, some
received many years of formal education, and some received little to no formal
education. Some come to the US by themselves, and some came with their families.
The refugees are not a homogenous group of people; they all have their own
pasts and personalities, and they have different new plans for their changed paths
in life.
5. What connections/interests/passions do you have for
this site or the population it serves?
I am
interested in learning about the refugee family’s unique culture, history, and experiences
(if they choose to share them with me), and I am also interested in the process
of tutoring English to non-native English learners because I hope to become an
ESL/ELL teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment